This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the Australia version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 28th September 2017 > Camanachd Cup final on Saturday

Camanachd Cup final on Saturday

THE TULLOCH Homes Camanachd cup final between Lovat and Newtonmore takes place on Saturday at the Bught Park, Inverness, with a 2pm throw-up. The match is being televised live on BBC 2 Scotland.

Meanwhile, after last Saturday’s results, Kinlochshiel moved into pole position in the Marine Harvest Premiership title race, Caberfeidh and Fort William continue to battle it out for the second Marine Harvest National Division promotion spot, Lochside Rovers are within touching distance of the Marine Harvest South Division 1 title and the Newtonmore seconds were presented with the North Division 1 trophy.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Kinlochshiel 4

Kyles Athletic 0

Shinty’s match of the day was the meeting between the Premiership’s top two teams, Kinlochshiel and Kyles Athletic at Kirkton.

Kinlochshiel have already had to give up home advantage in two of their recent league fixtures – against Glasgow Mid Argyll and Glenurquhart – and manager Johnston Gill made it clear his charges would not do so again for this crucial clash.

Match referee John Angus Gillies inspected the park on Friday lunchtime and ruled it playable, Kinlochshiel club officials monitored the situation carefully with further inspections on Friday evening and Saturday morning ahead of Kyles’ early morning departure from Tighnabruaich.

With just one more league match each remaining after this encounter, the sides were level on points with Kyles just in front on goal difference.

Kinlochshiel were along usual lines with Scott MacLean starting and Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae at wing centre.

Kyles Athletic boss James Perlich was without Roddy MacDonald, who served the second match of a two-game suspension. Callum Miller, returning from injury, took a place on the bench alongside Dunkie Kerr, Innes MacDonald and Rupert Williamson. Donald Irvine had recovered from a knock sustained in the previous week’s win over Newtonmore. You could sense the nerves pre-match as both camps knew the chance of a first top flight league championship was at stake.

The two captains – Scott Kennedy for Kinlochshiel and Gordon Whyte for Kyles – were well aware that one of them would go down in history as the first to lift a Marine Harvest Premiership trophy for their side.

Kinlochshiel won the toss of the coin and opted to play down the slope in the first half, against the wind.

Kinlochshiel quickly settled into the game and took the lead on four minutes following a brilliant passing move. Conor Cormack knocked the ball down in midfield and Donald Nixon got a touch ahead of Robbie MacLeod. Oliver MacRae tapped the ball to Finlay Mac- Rae who played a weighted pass down the right flank where Scott MacLean played the ball wide to Oliver MacRae who had continued his run forward. MacRae’s cross was touched on by John MacRae to Keith MacRae and he blasted a back-hand effort over Kyles Athletic keeper John Whyte’s right shoulder and into the net.

There was more to come as Oliver MacRae made it 2-0 on 12 minutes. John MacRae played a Kinlochshiel free-hit from the right to Keith MacRae at the back post and his shot from a tight angle was blocked with his body by John Whyte, but Oliver MacRae was quickly onto the rebound to stroke the ball home to the delight of the home support.

Kinlochshiel defender Paul MacRae had to be bandaged up after suffering a head cut, whilst Kyles goalie John Whyte needed treatment after taking a point-bank John MacRae shot, from the edge of the ‘D’, full in the face. Both players were able to carry on.

The next goal was always going to be important and it came from the hosts four minutes into the second half. Conor Cormack played a free-hit forward and substitute Jordan Fraser, who had come on for Scott MacLean during the first period, sent a bouncing shot goalwards from a central position. John Whyte dealt with the effort, pushing the ball out to his left. John MacRae saw an initial effort blocked before he wriggled forward past a couple of defenders and showed great perseverance to slot the ball into the net from close range.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 28th September 2017
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 28th September 2017
Or 149 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Only $ 1.02 per issue
Or 5299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Only $ 1.08 per issue
Or 2799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban Stars campaign to free Billy Noisy generators torment visitors Fort William Skipper jailed for ten months

Other Articles in this Issue