Shopping Cart -

Your cart is currently empty.
Continue Shopping
This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the Canada version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 25th August 2016 > Red-and-blacks to face Newtonmore in Camanachd Cup final

Red-and-blacks to face Newtonmore in Camanachd Cup final

Camanachd Cup – semi final

Lochaber 2 Oban Camanachd 4

Oban Camanachd are through to the 2016 Camanachd Cup final after they defeated Lochaber 4-2 in their action-packed semi-final at Taynuilt Sports Field.

This 4.05pm throw up was broadcast live by BBC Alba and the Taynuilt pitch was in excellent condition.

Lochaber attacked from the start. Neil MacDonald played in Shaun Nicolson who broke down the left wing before checking back and Oban Camanachd full back Gary McKerracher did well to deflect Nicolson’s shot away for a corner.

It didn’t take Oban Camanachd long to go on the offensive and an Andrew MacCuish shot from the right went high into the side-netting.

Shaun Nicolson took down a long Kevin Ferguson ball from the left and he held off a challenge from Willie Neilson before fizzing a shot just wide.

However, it was Oban Caman achd who took the lead seconds later. David Lafferty forced a corner on the Oban right, which was taken by Scott MacMillan. The ball fell for Andrew MacCuish and his shot took a deflection off a Lochaber defender, wrong-footing keeper Callum MacDonald, to give the Oban side a 1-0 lead with eight minutes played.

Andrew MacCuish was proving to be a handful and the Loch aber defence scrambled away a Scott MacMillan free-hit from the right under pressure from MacCuish.

The Lochaber support held their breath when a Callum MacDonald goal-hit went straight to Daniel MacVicar but the goalie redeemed himself by saving with his legs.

Lochaber equalised on 18 minutes. Shaun Nicolson took a quick free-hit from wide on the right. He picked out Ben Delaney, who had his back to goal. Delaney made just enough space to turn and he beat the keeper on his left side with a powerful drive to make it 1-1.

Oban Camanachd’s response was instant though and Andrew MacCuish took down a Lorne Dickie cross from the right and squeezed the ball past the keeper from inside the D to make it 2-1 with 20 minutes on the clock.

A superb turn from Andrew MacCuish created a shooting chance but Lachie Campbell just managed to deflect the ball away for a corner.

Play quickly switched to the other end and Lochaber had a chance to equalise on 29 minutes. Neil MacDonald collected an attempted clearance on the Oban right and he juggled the ball on his caman and burst into the D where he went down under a challenge from Willie Neilson. Referee Lachie Wood pointed to the spot after consulting with goal judge Graham Irving. However, Gavin Stobbart reacted quickly to save Ben Delaney’s low spot-hit with his feet.

Lochaber continued to press and Shaun Nicolson came close to a leveller with a shot from the right following a Brennan MacDonald shy from the same side.

Oban Camanachd’s Andrew ‘Papa’ MacCuish celebrates one of his two goals.
Photo: Neil Paterson

The Lochaber goal somehow survived on 37 minutes when Daniel MacVicar saw his initial shot saved by a diving Callum MacDonald and, although MacVicar got onto the rebound, his effort came off the post before being eventually scrambled away.

Oban Camanachd finished the half on the attack and they took their 2-1 lead into the break.

The red-and-blacks extended their lead on 48 minutes. This time Andrew MacCuish turned provider as he picked up possession on the left and played a great cross to the edge of the D where Daniel MacVicar allowed the ball to run across his body before slamming it past a helpless Callum Mac-Donald to make it 3-1.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 25th August 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 25th August 2016
Or 139 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Only $ 0.90 per issue
Or 4699 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Only $ 0.96 per issue
Or 2499 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban: Lack of paper stops test at hospital Fort William: Town comes together after death of cyclist

Other Articles in this Issue