This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 13th October 2016 > Oban Celtic lift South One silverware

Oban Celtic lift South One silverware

NEWTONMORE continued their winning ways and it’s all becoming a bit clearer at the bottom of the Marine Harvest Premiership following the shinty action on Saturday October 8.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Oban Camanachd 1

Newtonmore 5

Seven-time title winners Newtonmore turned in another good performance to beat second-placed Oban Camanachd 5-1 in their 1pm throw up at Mossfield.

Oban Camanachd manager Iain Hay was without the injured Garry Lord and David Lafferty but Scott McKillop was free of suspension and started in defence. Andrew MacCuish also returned to the Oban Camanachd starting line-up after missing the win over Lovat at Balgate a week earlier. Gary McKerracher was included after missing the Lovat game but was named as one of the Oban Camanachd substitutes.

Newtonmore boss Paul John MacKintosh had Paul MacArthur free of a one-match ban which saw him miss the previous weekend’s title-clinching 7-1 victory over Kinlochshiel at Kirkton and Neil Stewart was still injured.

Oban Camanachd shocked the champions by taking the lead after only 20 seconds. The ball was played up the line to Daniel MacVicar who squared the ball to Malcolm Clark who was between the penalty spot and the ‘D’.

Clark stopped the ball which allowed Andrew MacCuish to drive it into the bottom left corner of the net to make it 1-0.

It didn’t take Newtonmore long to regain their composure though and Evan Menzies found the back of the net with a half-volley after seven minutes to make it 1-1.

Norman Campbell scored twice in two minutes on 25 and 26 minutes to make it 3-1 as ’More got a grip of the game. Both goals were rebounds off Oban keeper Gavin Stobbart with Campbell reacting first to knock the ball home. Keeper Gavin Stobbart could have expected more protection from his defenders.

A jubilant Oban Celtic squad after being presented with the Marine Harvest South Division One Trophy last Saturday.
Photos: Stephen Lawson.

Norman Campbell had the chance to complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Evan Menzies had cut in from the wing, past Daniel Cameron, and was brought down inside the ‘D’ by goalie Stobbart and referee Deek Cameron pointed to the penalty spot. Campbell hit the penalty well enough but Stobbart made a good stop and the chance was gone.

Norman Campbell made amends when he completed his hat-trick with just a couple of first half minutes remaining. Campbell hit a low drive into the net from 10 yards out to make it 4-1.

The game went a bit flat in the second half and Newtonmore took the opportunity to give some of their young substitutes a chance.

Fraser MacKintosh completed the scoring on 78 minutes. Evan Menzies played the ball across the penalty area and MacKintosh finished accurately into the corner of the net past a helpless keeper.

The match completes Oban Camanachd’s league season. They are currently in second spot, two points ahead of third -placed Kyles Athletic. The

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 13th October 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 13th October 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Local news, leisure and sport. Free inside: Argyll Enterprise Week 12 page supplement.

Other Articles in this Issue