This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 21st July 2016 > Kilmallie hit Caberfeidh for six in convincing Balliemore Cup win

Kilmallie hit Caberfeidh for six in convincing Balliemore Cup win

Balliemore Cup final

Kilmallie 6 Caberfeidh 0

KILMALLIE won the 2016 Balliemore Cup with a 6-0 victory over Caberfeidh in the final at Blairbeg.

The Balliemore Cup was first played for as an intermediate championship in 1985 and Kilmallie had won it on two previous occasions – 1992 and 1993. Kilmallie’s last appearance in the final was in 2008 when they lost 3-1 to Skye Camanachd at Braeview Park.

Mark MacPherson’s side had only previously lost twice this season; both against Marine Harvest Premier Division sides

– Skye Camanachd and Oban Camanachd – and both times by the odd goal in seven. They were also in great goal-scoring form going into the final, netting 26 goals in their last six matches.

Caberfeidh boss Lee Nicol knew that victory would make his side record Balliemore Cup winners; they were currently level with Bute at five victories apiece. The Caberfeidh triumphs came in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2000. They made the final in 2011 when they lost 2-1 to Bute at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree. Cabers only trailed Kilmallie by a point in the Marine Harvest National Division.

Kilmallie and Caberfeidh had met twice before in the Balliemore Cup Final – in 1995 and 1997 – with Cabers winning on both occasions but this was to be Kilmallie’s day. Both teams took bus-loads of supporters to this year’s final.

The victorious Kilmallie team.
Photographs by Neil Paterson.

Kilmallie’s Innes Blackhall was free to play but he will miss his team’s next match against Bute in the league as his booking against Oban Camanachd a week earlier takes him through the disciplinary points threshold. Bryan MacKay, who played his part in the run to the cup final, missed out as he was abroad.

Caberfeidh had a familiar-looking line-up, although they had to do without Ally MacLennan and Paddy Wilson.

Cabers made a bright start to the final and a Craig Morrison drive rose just the wrong side of Shane Gillies’ post early in the match.

It was Kilmallie who took the lead after five minutes. Cabers’ keeper Ewan Pilcher saved a Duncan Rodger shot and Mark Graham held off his marker to force the rebound home from inside the ‘D’.

Two goals late in the first half put Kilmallie in control. Michael Rodger made it 2-0 on 42 minutes with a rocket-shot from 25 yards into the top corner of the net. A minute before the break, Mark Graham lofted the ball goalwards from the middle of the park and scored to make it 3-0 at the break.

Kilmallie captain Martin Stewart with the Balliemore Cup.
Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 21st July 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 21st July 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Local news, leisure and sport

Other Articles in this Issue