This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 22nd September 2016 > Newtonmore lift Camanachd Cup after narrow win over red and blacks

Newtonmore lift Camanachd Cup after narrow win over red and blacks

Camanachd Cup final

Newtonmore 1

Oban Camanachd 0

Newtonmore lifted the Camanachd Cup, winning 1-0 in a tight final against Oban Camanachd on a glorious afternoon at An Aird, Fort William, on Saturday.

This 109th Camanachd Cup final was a much anticipated encounter as these sides currently occupied the top two places in the Marine Harvest Premiership but they had yet to meet this season.

The supporters from both clubs contributed to a colourful occasion as the blue and white of Newtonmore, in a crowd of close to 4,000, mingled with the red and black of Oban Camanachd.

Newtonmore manager Paul John MacKintosh had missed much of the lead up to the game as his work commitments took him to the Czech Republic. However, he arrived home in the early hours of Friday morning and the one significant change to his starting line-up saw the pacey Ackie MacRae, who had himself spent much of the past year abroad, come in at wing centre. Chris Sellar failed to recover sufficiently from a knee infection so he missed out.

Man of the match, Newtonmore’s Andy MacKintosh, shares his Albert Smith medal with his week-old daughter Marnie.
Photo: Stephen Lawson

Oban Camanachd boss Iain Hay was pleased to see defender Garry Lord play against Fort William the previous weekend in his comeback game following a four-match ban. Lord took up his usual role in defence so Willie Neilson started on the bench. Daniel Cameron and Andrew MacCuish played despite receiving stitches to facial wounds suffered in the Fort William game.

The teams were piped out onto the field by the Lochaber Pipe Band before being introduced to Camanachd Association president Jim Barr, Camanachd Association chieftain Jock Turner as well as Caol and Mallaig Highland Councillor Allan Henderson.

Newtonmore won the toss and played with a slight wind advantage in the first half.

Oban Camanachd had an early set-piece chance bur Lorne Dickie’s shot was taken out of the air by Newtonmore’s Steven MacDonald before the ball reached the goal. MacDonald held off a challenge before ushering the ball out of play.

’More keeper Owen Fraser sent the goal hit into the Oban half and when Rory Kennedy gathered possession, he sent the ball long but out of play.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 22nd September 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 22nd September 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban: New flats will 'cause social chaos' Fort William: Musician lands top BBC position

Other Articles in this Issue