Shopping Cart -

Your cart is currently empty.
Continue Shopping
This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 26th April 2018 > MacTavish Cup holders suffer a scare before making it through to semi-finals

MacTavish Cup holders suffer a scare before making it through to semi-finals

Fort William’s Padraig McNeill, left, and Lachie Shaw deal with Caberfeidh’s Jack Pilcher.
Photograph: Neil Paterson.


Marine Harvest Media Award winners 2016

Best for all shinty news, results and fixtures

THE FAVOURITES all eventually made it through to the MacTavish Cup and Glasgow Celtic Society Cup semi-finals following the shinty action on Saturday April 21. MacTavish Cup – quarter finals

Newtonmore 2 Glenurquhart 2

After extra-time. Newtonmore won 5-4 on penalties.

Holders Newtonmore suffered a scare before reaching the last four of this year’s competition with a penalty shoot-out win over Glenurquhart following their 2-2 draw at The Eilan. Newtonmore’s absentees included the suspended Evan Menzies as well as Drew Mac- Donald, Paul MacArthur, Craig Ritchie and Jamie Robinson.

Rory Kennedy returned to the starting line-up, whilst there was a call-up for Calum Stewart. Glenurquhart fielded a young centre line with Fraser Heath starting in attack.

Newtonmore went in front when Glen MacKintosh beat Glenurquhart keeper Stuart MacKintosh with a rasping 35- yard shot on 38 minutes.

Glenurquhart drew level on 41 minutes when Fraser Heath scored following good play between Daniel MacKintosh and Connor Golabeck.

With no scoring in the second half, referee Calum Girvan took the tie into extra-time.

Fraser Heath, who looked to be back to his best form, put Glenurquhart in front with a half-volley on 107 minutes.

Glenurquhart were just a couple of minutes away from a place in the next round when Glen MacKintosh made it 2-2 following a goalmouth scramble and the ball may even have taken a slight deflection as it rose high into the net.

The sides were still level after the first ten penalties, so the shoot-out went to sudden death. Iain Robinson scored the winning penalty that sent Newtonmore through to the last four of the competition.

Skye Camanachd 1 Lovat 2

Two first half goals helped Lovat edge out Skye Camanachd 2-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye manager John MacLeod was still without the injured Iain Nicolson. Ruaraidh MacLeod also missed out after suffering a knock when playing for the club’s U17 side during the week and Stewart Grant was working. Lovat boss Fraser Gallacher was minus Scott MacKenzie and Chris Johnston whilst Thomas Fraser was a late call-off. Duncan Davidson started on the bench alongside Jamie Buchan.

Skye opened well but it was Lovat who took the lead following their first real attack on five minutes. Callum Cruden launched a high free-hit forward.

Marc MacLachlan’s shot was deflected into the path of Lewis Tawse who made it 1-0. Skye suffered a blow when they lost full back Ally MacDonald with what looked like a serious knee injury, so Will Cowie came back into defence with Ross Gordon coming off the bench.

Lovat doubled their lead on 41 minutes when Marc MacLachlan used his strength to hold off a defender and keeper and force the ball home to make it 2-0 at half-time.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 26th April 2018
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 26th April 2018
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban: Two year old carers in North Argyll Teenagers aid injured woman Oban Unsigned winner announced Fort William: Fire service allay hydrant fears

Other Articles in this Issue