This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Xmas Legs Small Present Present
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 27th July 2017 > Kyles and Newtonmore progress to Macaulay final

Kyles and Newtonmore progress to Macaulay final

KYLES Athletic and Newtonmore will meet in the Artemis Macaulay Cup Final and Strachur are through to face the Inveraray seconds in the Bullough Cup Final following the shinty action last Saturday.

Artemis Macaulay Cup – semi-finals

Oban Camanachd 0

Kyles Athletic 2

Colin MacDonald scored twice early in the game to give Kyles Athletic a 2-0 win over Oban Camanachd at Mossfield.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel Cameron returned from suspension and Andrew MacCuish was also back. Garry Lord started a two-match ban for passing through the disciplinary points threshold.

Kyles Athletic continued without the injured Innes MacDonald and Cammy Keith, whilst Grant Irvine returned. Roddy MacDonald remained in defence, where he marked Matt Rippon.

Kyles took the initiative when Colin MacDonald put them ahead after three minutes. Colin MacDonald got his and Kyles’ second on 23 minutes.

The Tighnabruaich men could have been further ahead by the break had it not been for Gavin Stobbart’s fine goal-keeping. Oban Camanachd had the majority of the second half but the closest they came to a goal was a Lorne Dickie shot from distance which came off the inside of the post.

The south semi-final man of the match, Oban Camanachd’s Gavin Stobbart, receives his award from David Hamilton, secretary of the Macaulay Association.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel MacVicar suffered a shoulder injury which later led to his withdrawal from the Scotland U17 squad for the shinty/hurling Ireland tour.

Oban Camanachd do not have a fixture this coming Saturday so they can watch their reserve side Lochside Rovers in the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup Final against the Kingussie seconds at An Aird.

Lovat 0

Newtonmore 3

Three extra-time goals got Newtonmore past Lovat in their semi-final tie at Braeview Park. Craig Mainland was given a start in a full-strength Lovat side. Manager Fraser Gallacher was on holiday so his assistant Martin Bell looked after the squad.

The Newtonmore team news was more interesting as David MacLean joined Paul MacArthur and Drew MacDonald on the injury list.

Evan Menzies missed out through suspension following his sending off against Kyles Athletic a week earlier and Glen MacKintosh’s calf problem meant he was only able to take up a place on the bench. Jamie Robinson started in attack, with Iain Richardson keeping his place in midfield.

The Newtonmore defence was on their game from the start, limiting Lovat to few chances. There wasn’t a lot of goalmouth action during the first half, although Lovat keeper Stuart MacDonald made a spectacular diving save from a 20- yard strike from an unmarked Fraser MacKintosh.

Lovat replaced Ryan Ferguson, who’d been playing well, with Martin Mainland before the hour although Ferguson came back on in attack for Calum Macaulay later in the tie. Glen MacKintosh came off the Newtonmore bench for the final third of the 90 minutes.

The tie got tousy at times with Newtonmore dominating the closing stages but, with no scoring, referee Archie Ritchie took the tie into extra-time. Greg Matheson almost caught Newtonmore keeper Norman Campbell out with a shot from the right, but the ball went just outside the post.

The break-through came on 98 minutes when Chris Sellar sent a ball from well out into the goal area.

With Jamie Robinson and Iain Robinson running in to challenge, Jamie Robinson stretched to get the slightest touch and the ball rolled into the net.

Lovat lost wing centre Scott MacKenzie on 104 with a nasty arm injury which required a trip to hospital and which was to later rule him out of the Scotland U17 trip to Ireland the following day.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 27th July 2017
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 27th July 2017
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Local news, leisure and sport. Self build & renovation supplement free inside.

Other Articles in this Issue