This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 25th May 2017 > Camanachd Cup ties this weekend

Camanachd Cup ties this weekend

KILMALLIE will play Newtonmore in the MacTavish Cup Final and Fort William reached the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup second round.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup - first round replay

Oban Celtic 0

Fort William 2

Fort William secured the final place in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup second round with a 2-0 replay victory over Oban Celtic at Mossfield.

This was Oban Celtic’s first home match since the middle of March after six games on the road. Indeed, it was only their third match on home turf all season.

Boss Kenny Wotherspoon had players back from the previous week but was without full back John Hill following his red card when the sides drew the original game 3-3 at An Aird.

Fort William management duo Victor Smith and Adam Robertson were missing Lewis Clark, who was also sent off in that match, but Bryan Simpson and Alexander MacMillan returned.

Fort William took the lead following a corner on 13 minutes when winger Alexander MacMillan scored from a tight angle.

Bryan Simpson made it 2-0 on 54 minutes with a snap-shot on the turn from just outside the ‘D’ after Fort William had worked the ball up the left wing.

Had it not been for some fine saves from Oban Celtic stand-in goalie Jack Hill, the winning margin could have been bigger.

Fort William will now have home advantage against Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup holders Newtonmore in their second round tie this Saturday.

Oban Celtic manager Kenny Wotherspoon was in no mood for excuses after the game. ‘Fort were stronger this week but so were we,’ he said. ‘Take nothing away from Fort William as they played well but that was a below par Oban Celtic performance.

‘I’ve been managing the club for just over a year now and that was one of flattest performances I’ve seen from our boys. Win, lose or draw, we are in it together but that was unacceptable and there are no excuses. I expect a massive difference this week when we travel to Bught Park to take on Inverness.

‘It will be a tough game as Inverness have more league points than us. I’ll have the boys fired up as usual but it’s whether or not they can carry the momentum on to the park.’

MacTavish Cup - semi final

Kinlochshiel 2

Kilmallie 3

Kilmallie will play Newtonmore in the MacTavish Cup Final following their shock 3-2 win over Kinlochshiel in their 3pm throw -up at a wet Kirkton.

Constant rain overnight left some surface water but the game was never in doubt. Kinlochshiel wing centre Gordie MacDonald was ruled out after injuring his knee in the team’s last match, a win over Newtonmore a fortnight earlier.

Lochaber’s Zander Ferguson and Glenurquhart’s Neale Reid in action during their Premiership match at the weekend which Lochaber won 3-2.
Photograph: Donald Cameron.

Kilmallie’s Aaron Sandison remained suspended but Martin Stewart returned after serving his ban. New signing Daniel Stewart was cup-tied. Innes Blackhall missed out with a wrist injury.

Kinlochshiel played down the slope in the first half, attacking from the throw-up, and Kilmallie keeper Shane Gillies had a couple of good early saves.

A high Donald Nixon ball from midfield into the goal area came off the post and it seemed only a matter of time before ‘Shiel would take the lead.

Kilmallie shocked the home support however when they went in front after four minutes with their first attack of the game. Duncan Rodger collected a ball forward and made just enough space to thump a shot high into the net.

‘Shiel had more pressure but Kilmallie continued to create the better chances. Duncan Rodger got past Paul MacRae but shot wide and the Kilmallie front man then had an effort saved with his feet by Scott Kennedy as the first half drew to a close.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 25th May 2017
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 25th May 2017
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Local children caught in bomb attack Oban Live 2017 feature

Other Articles in this Issue