This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 14th July 2016 > Oban secure Camanachd semis place

Oban secure Camanachd semis place

Oban Camanachd and Newtonmore are through to the Camanachd Cup semi-finals but Kinlochshiel and Beauly and Kyles Athletic and Lochaber will have to do it all over again following the shinty action on Saturday July 9.

Connor Howe, who scored Oban Camanachd’s winning goal, left, and Jordan MacPhee of Kilmallie keep an eye on the ball during Saturday’s Camanachd Cup quarter final.
Photograph by Stephen Lawson.

Camanachd Cup quarter-finals

Kilmallie 3 Oban Camanachd 4

THE MATCH of the day was at Canal Parks where Oban Camanachd came from behind three times to eventually beat a determined Kilmallie side 4-3 in their Camanachd Cup quarter-final tie.

Before the game there was a minute’s silence for former president of Oban Camanachd Club Duncan MacIntyre who sadly passed away midweek after a long illness.

Kilmallie had players back from the side that beat Inverness in the league a week earlier. Shane Gillies returned in goal while Martin Stewart and Liam MacDonald were also back and Peter Carmichael and Michael Rodger were free of one-match suspensions.

Oban Camanachd travelled with a full squad for the 3pm throw up.

The game started at a hectic pace with the home forwards giving the Camanachd defence a torrid time and it was no surprise when, after 21 minutes, Liam MacDonald latched on to a poor clearance to put the home side one up.

Camanachd’s response was immediate though as Andrew ‘Papa’ MacCuish levelled the score two minutes later.

Once again the Oban defence was found wanting when Brian MacKay restored the home side’s lead. On the half-hour mark, however, after good lead-up play by Daniel Cameron, Andrew MacCuish scored his second goal of the game to draw Camanachd level.

This only lasted a minute as Duncan Rodgers restored the home side’s lead after more sloppy defending by the Oban side.

There was no further scoring before referee Calum Girvan sounded the whistle for half time.

Whatever was said at halftime by team manager Iain Hay seemed to have the desired effect with the Camanachd defence having a more solid look as the second half got under way.

With the midfield trio of David Lafferty, Lorne Dickie and Aidan MacIntyre in control of the midfield, it was the premier league side which drew level through Andrew ‘Papa’ Mac-Cuish completing his hat-trick. His shot deceived the home keeper although there were claims by the home defence that an infringement had been committed.

On consulting his goal judge the referee awarded the goal.

The Oban side’s superior fitness was beginning to tell and in 63 minutes Connor Howe put Camanachd ahead for the first time in the game.

Oban Camanachd’s Andrew MacCuish celebrates netting one of his three goals against Kilmallie.
Photograph by Neil Paterson.
Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 14th July 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 14th July 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Local news, sport and leisure

Other Articles in this Issue