This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 18th August 2016 > Narrow win sees Newtonmore reach Camanachd Cup final

Narrow win sees Newtonmore reach Camanachd Cup final

Camanachd Cup – semi final

Kinlochshiel 1

Newtonmore 2

Newtonmore are through to the Camanachd Cup Final after they beat Kinlochshiel 2-1 in their 4.05pm throw up at the Bught Park.

Jordan Fraser returned for Kinlochshiel after missing the previous weekend’s league win over Kyles Athletic. Newtonmore’s Jamie Robinson and Andy MacKintosh both recovered from knocks and both started.

Newtonmore opened with the wind advantage but Kinlochshiel made a bright start with Keith MacRae and then Jordan Fraser threatening the Newtonmore goal early in the contest.

Norman Campbell needed treatment after 10 minutes. He took a knock following a Finlay MacRae challenge which saw the two full centres lock horns. Campbell was able to continue but he was moved to full forward with Jamie Robinson going to full centre and Neil Stewart dropping back to wing centre.

’Shiel had a grip of the midfield and Oliver MacRae flicked on a high Gordie MacDonald ball from the right before shooting low past the keeper’s left post.

Paul MacArthur was booked by referee Deek Cameron on 15 minutes for a comment made after playing the ball forward from midfield.

Newtonmore’s first real chance came a minute later as Chris Seller strode forward, but he tugged the ball past ’Shiel goalie Scott Kennedy’s right post.

There was an opportunity for ’More a minute later when Neil Stewart played the ball in from the right.

Jamie Robinson pushed the ball into the heart of the ’Shiel defence, where it was missed by the back-line, and Norman Campbell surged forward to the left of the ‘D’ and took a touch before flicking the ball to the keeper’s right. But Scott Kennedy was wise to it and he forced the ball away for a corner on the ’More left. Norman Campbell took Paul MacArthur’s corner in the air but steered it wide of goal.

As much as Kinlochshiel dominated the opening 15 minutes, Newtonmore were coming more and more into the game and when Norman Campbell lofted a ball forward midway through the first half, David Falconer looked favourite to clear the danger but he missed his hit.

Kinlochshiel’s Keith Macrae and Newtonmore’s Andy Mackintosh in a tussle for the ball during last Saturday’s Camanachd Cup semi final at Bught Park, Inverness.
Photo: Neil Paterson

Glen MacKintosh took advantage but Scott Kennedy moved quickly across his goal to keep the ball out with his feet at his left post at the expense of a corner.

Kinlochshiel were forced to make a change on 25 minutes when defender Conor Cormack suffered a serious hand injury which will require surgery. John Don MacKenzie came on in his place.

’Shiel’s Mark MacDonald had to scramble the ball away for a corner after a dangerous Chris Sellar run and the irony of the earlier injury to Norman Campbell was that the men from the Eilan looked a better unit with Jamie Robinson at full centre and Campbell at full forward.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 18th August 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 18th August 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban: Iona finds will reshape history Fort William: Mallaig fraudster sentence delayed

Other Articles in this Issue