This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 29th June 2017 > Five in a row as Kyles win Celtic Society Cup

Five in a row as Kyles win Celtic Society Cup

KYLES Athletic won the Gregor Cameron Glasgow Celtic Society Cup for a club record fifth time in a row following the shinty action on Saturday June 24.

Gregor Cameron Glasgow Celtic Society Cup Final

Kyles Athletic 3

Oban Camanachd 1

Kyles Athletic took the honours as they defeated Oban Camanachd 3-1 to lift the Gregor Cameron Glasgow Celtic Society Cup in their 4.05pm throw-up at Taynuilt Sports Field.

This was a first final in charge for Kyles Athletic boss James Perlich and he had keeper John Whyte back following a hand injury. Innes MacDonald was sidelined with a foot injury, whilst Grant Irvine was only fit enough to take up a place on the bench. Dunkie Kerr played with a protective cover on a hand injury.

Oban Camanachd boss Iain Hay was without defender Gary McKerracher and forward Daniel MacVicar who were on holiday. Scott MacMillan came back into the side following suspension and David Lafferty’s recent return from injury earned him a place on the bench.

The first chance of the game fell to Gordon Whyte but he scooped the ball wide from close in.With a swirling wind and a greasy surface, both teams made an uncertain start but it was Kyles who struck an early blow. Camanachd failed to clear a powerful Thomas Whyte shy from the right and Kyles full centre Donald Irvine knocked the ball left to Roddy MacDonald whose first-time pass found Gordon Whyte. He continued the one-touch passing to Dunkie Kerr who swept the ball into the net from the edge of the ‘D’, beating keeper Gavin Stobbart by his left post, to make it 1-0 with six minutes played.

Oban Camanachd responded straight away, Malcolm Clark picking out Lorne Dickie on the right with a free-hit. Dickie got past Robbie MacLeod before taking the ball into the ‘D’ but Kyles’ goalie John Whyte was quickly off his line to block Dickie’s path.

A superb Roddy MacDonald turn and shot saw the ball come back off the base of the post and Marc MacCallum threw his body in the way to block Dunkie Kerr’s shot from the rebound. Thomas Whyte sent a drive from the right into the side-netting with 16 minutes gone. A Scott MacMillan shy from the right was taken down by Willie Neilson but Matt Rippon couldn’t reach Neilson’s low cross.

With the rain becoming heavier, Kyles were on top. There were shouts for a penalty following a scramble in the Oban goal area. Gavin Stobbart came off his line when the ball was knocked into the ‘D’ but with players from both sides on the ground, referee Wood restarted the game with a throw-up after consulting with goal judge Ross Brown.

Roddy MacDonald was suffering with a shoulder injury after an earlier collision with team-mate Dunkie Kerr and he needed treatment before carrying on.

The action continued towards the Oban Camanachd goal and keeper Stobbart saved with his feet from Roddy MacDonald and Garry Lord was quickly in to push the ball away before Daniel Cameron cleared the danger.

Oban Camanachd were furious when referee Lachie Wood failed to allow advantage as Willie Neilson, although impeded, broke towards goal. To make matters worse for Camanachd, the set-piece went badly wrong and Kyles cleared easily.

Dunkie Kerr had a chance when Roddy MacDonald’s cross from the left fell nicely for him but he topped the ball and the chance was gone.

Kyles Athletic captain Gordon Whyte with the Celtic Society Cup.
Photograph: Neil Paterson.

The Kyles’ pressure continued and Mark MacCallum did well to block a Gordon Whyte shot. A rare Camanachd attack saw Willie Neilson’s cross from the left and Kyles Athletic full back Callum Miller dived in to block Andrew MacCuish’s shot from the right.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 29th June 2017
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 29th June 2017
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban Body lies in A&E due to cuts Concern over lack of firemen Lochaber Concern over new flats' safety Includes free 40 page supplement #HHA2017 - Heritage, History and Archaeology (follow link on page 29)

Other Articles in this Issue