This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 17th August 2017 > Debut boy Marc KOs Camanachd with last gasp goal

Debut boy Marc KOs Camanachd with last gasp goal

LOVAT are through to the Tulloch Homes Camanachd cup Final, the Kingussie second team won the Strathdearn Cup and Kyles Athletic top the Marine Harvest Premiership on goal difference following the shinty action on Saturday August 12.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup semi final

Oban Camanachd 1

Lovat 2

Lovat are through to the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup Final after an injury-time Marc MacLachlan strike gave them a 2-1 victory over Oban Camanachd in their 4pm throw-up at An Aird.

Oban Camanachd manager Iain Hay welcomed Garry Lord back into his side following suspension but the tie came too soon for injured pair Daniel MacVicar and Matt Rippon, although the former is back in training. Daniel Cameron started at full forward with youngsters Daniel MacCuish, Lewis Buchanan and Evan MacLellan joining reserve keeper Cameron Sutherland on the bench.

Injury ruled out Lovat’s Scott MacKenzie, whilst Lorne MacKay started a two-match suspension for passing through the disciplinary points threshold. Marc MacLachlan, recently signed from Beauly, was given a debut at full forward, whilst Duncan Davidson, who rejoined the club after a spell with Bute, was one of the substitutes.

Lovat played with the blustery wind in the first half, however, Oban Camanachd enjoyed the early pressure with a Malcolm Clark shot going narrowly wide. Lovat passed up a great chance on 10 minutes when Lewis Tawse swept a Calum MacAulay pass into the path of Marc MacLachlan, but he lifted the ball over the bar.

Daniel Grieve was the first player to be booked for challenging Daniel Cameron after the Lovat defender had dropped his caman.

Scott McKillop fell awkwardly after chasing a wide ball with Greg Matheson and seemed to twist his knee but continued after treatment.

Malcolm Clark drilled a strike over and Greg Matheson shot wide at the other end as the contest reached the midway point in the first half.

Lorne Dickie needed patching up after Callum Cruden’s caman caught him on the forehead. Malcolm Clark tugged the ball wide after a neat move on the Oban left and Gavin Stobbart turned away a Greg Matheson shot following a Lewis Tawse free-hit.

Gary McKerracher was booked for playing on after dropping his caman with five first half minutes remaining.

Inveraray’s Ally Munro tries to get his block in on Caberfeidh’s Craig Morrison during the National Division game at the Winterton last Saturday.
Photograph: Stephen Lawson.

In a half of few attempts on target, Greg Matheson turned and drove a shot wide of Gavin Stobbart’s right post.

Scott McKillop went down in a challenge during first half stoppage time and was replaced by Daniel MacCuish, with Willie Neilson dropping back into defence.

Oban Camanachd finished the half on the attack and edged the first 45 minutes.

Malcolm Clark forced a good Stuart MacDonald save with a low shot a couple of minutes after the restart.

Stuart MacDonald then made an even better save, throwing himself to his right to parry a fierce Daniel Cameron effort. And Aidan MacIntyre stabbed the ball past the post from inside the ‘D’ following the resultant corner.

A determined Andrew Mac- Cuish run ended with the ball forced out for a corner and Oban Camanachd were on the ascendancy.

Lovat made their first change as Calum MacAulay came off with Duncan Davidson taking over. Lewis Tawse dropped back into midfield.

Oban Camanachd’s Garry Lord picked up what was to prove to be a costly booking on the hour mark. Referee Deek Cameron blew for a foul when Lord pushed Greg Matheson in the back.

However, with Matheson on the ground, Lord struck the ball after the whistle had gone, hitting the Lovat forward.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 17th August 2017
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 17th August 2017
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban Pipe bands on top of the world Fort William Lochaber trafic chaos slammed Includes #yourfuture 2017 - Your free 12 page supplement highlighting career options, vocational training and further education in Argyll and beyond. #yourfuture

Other Articles in this Issue