This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 4th August 2016 > Newtonmore win Sutherland Cup

Newtonmore win Sutherland Cup

NEWTONMORE’S second team won the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup, Tayforth reached the Bullough Cup Final, Kilmallie went top of Marine Harvest National Division and Oban Celtic enjoyed a derby win over Lochside Rovers following the shinty action on Saturday July 30.

Champagne flows as Newtonmore celebrate winning the Sutherland Cup.
Photos: Neil Paterson

Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup Final

Newtonmore 6

Kingussie 0

Newtonmore’s second team retained the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup with a 6-0 win over Kingussie’s second team at the Dell on Saturday.

When these derby rivals won through to the final, they asked that rather than playing at a neutral venue, a toss of the coin decide home advantage to save their supporters travelling further afield. Kingussie called correctly and the Dell was in superb condition for junior shinty’s showpiece occasion.

Newtonmore fielded a strong mixture of youth and experience. John MacKenzie continued in goal and there was a place for U17 forward Iain Robinson. They also fielded Cameron Binnie who had a fine game.

Kingussie were missing John Gibson so John MacLean started at full centre.

There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw-up as a mark of respect to Newtonmore stalwart Johnny Campbell who died during the week.

Kingussie may have been underdogs, but they almost took the lead when a Ruaridh Anderson shot hit the bar in the opening minutes.

Roddy Young also went close when he dragged a shot wide from the edge of the D before Duncan Gorman put Newton-more ahead on 24 minutes.

A quick-fire Conor Jones brace on 34 and 35 minutes gave Newtonmore a comfortable 3-0 half-time lead.

Newtonmore had a grip of the midfield area, putting the Kingussie defence under constant pressure. Martin Hall made it 4-0 on 64 minutes and Iain Robinson added a fifth on 77 minutes.

Conor Jones, who gave Kingussie full back Rory Fraser a torrid time all afternoon, completed his hat-trick a minute from time.

’More captain Cameron Mc-Niven lifted shinty’s top junior trophy to the delight of his team’s supporters.

Archie Ritchie was the match referee.

Sixteen-year-old Ross MacLean, who made his senior debut for Ballachulish last Saturday, beats Daniel Palombo of Inverness to the ball. Photo: Donald Paterson.

Bullough Cup semi final

Glasgow Mid Argyll 1 Tayforth 7

Tayforth reached the Bullough Cup Final after they defeated Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds 7-1 at Yoker.

A Brendan Duggan hat-trick, two from Calum Barton and goals from Conor Sweeney and Hamish Anderson all counted for Tayforth with Angus Mac-Innes countering for GMA.

Ewen MacDonald was the match referee.

Tayforth will now play Kilmory in an all-Marine Harvest South Division 2 Bullough Cup Final on Saturday August 27.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Oban Camanachd 2

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 4th August 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 4th August 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban: Argyll roads are Scotland's most dangerous Fort William: Call for action on accident blackspot

Other Articles in this Issue