Shopping Cart -

Your cart is currently empty.
Continue Shopping
This website use cookies and similar technologies to improve the site and to provide customised content and advertising. By using this site, you agree to this use. To learn more, including how to change your cookie settings, please view our Cookie Policy
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
Pocketmags Digital Magazines
   You are currently viewing the United Kingdom version of the site.
Would you like to switch to your local site?
Digital Subscriptions > The Oban Times & Lochaber Times > 30th June 2016 > Four in a row as Kyles lift Celtic Cup

Four in a row as Kyles lift Celtic Cup

Gregor Cameron Consultancy Glasgow Celtic Society Cup – final

The victorious Kyles Athletic team celebrate after winning the Gregor Cameron Consultancy Glasgow Celtic Society Cup at Taynuilt last Saturday.
Photograph by Neil Paterson.

Inveraray 1 Kyles Athletic 3

Kyles Athletic retained the Gregor Cameron Consultancy Glasgow Celtic Society Cup with a 3-1 win over Inveraray at Taynuilt Sports Field.

The players were piped onto a superb playing surface and once formalities were complete, it was down to action with Kyles starting with the wind in their favour.

Kyles, just as they did against Oban Camanachd in last year’s final, went ahead in the opening minute.

Roddy MacDonald picked up a clearance out of the Inveraray defence and played the ball into the middle from the Kyles’ right. Andrew McMurdo missed the cross but Dunkie Kerr slotted the ball low past helpless keeper Scott MacLachlan from the back of the ‘D’.

Dunkie Kerr then twice tested the Inveraray keeper; first with a lofted ball from the left which MacLachlan kept out with his caman followed by a low drive which the goalie saved with his feet.

It would have been easy for Inveraray to have buckled at this stage, but they hung in and weathered the Kyles’ storm. A Garry MacPherson ball was taken down by Lewis Montgomery and although his snap-shot was deflected for a corner, it gave Inveraray encouragement.

More was to follow as Garry MacPherson turned along the by-line after collecting a corner from the right.

He cut the ball back to Lewis Montgomery who slammed a shot over keeper John Whyte’s left shoulder to make it 1-1 with 17 minutes played.

Allan MacDonald was spoken to by the referee after a wild swing which caught Roddy MacDonald, the Inveraray man having taken a blow to the thumb moments earlier.

It was a much more even contest as the game moved into the final 15 minutes of the first half.

Inveraray made the first change of the match on 34 minutes when David MacPherson replaced Lewis MacNicol at wing centre.

A late David Robertson challenge with his foot caught Grant Irvine on the knee and left the Kyles man writhing in pain.

The incident was missed by referee Deek Cameron who was following play but, after consultation with fourth official Lachie Wood, he yellow-carded Robertson. With a couple of first half minutes remaining, another Inveraray change saw Grant Griffin taking over from David Robertson with Kyles replacing Innes MacDonald with Rupert Williamson.

With just seconds of the first 45 minutes to go, Kyles went back in front.

Inveraray defender Ally Munro was harshly punished for a shoulder to shoulder challenge on Sandy MacKenzie giving Kyles a free-hit in a central position around 20 yards from goal.

The set-piece from Gordon Whyte was slightly over-hit but Dunkie Kerr kept the ball in play on the Kyles’ right and his low cross deflected off Douglas Dando and was turned into the net by a gleeful Sandy MacKenzie meaning the Tighnabruaich men took a 2-1 lead into the break.

Purchase options below
Find the complete article and many more in this issue of The Oban Times & Lochaber Times - 30th June 2016
If you own the issue, Login to read the full article now.
Single Issue - 30th June 2016
Or 99 points
Annual Digital Subscription
Or 3299 points
6 Month Digital Subscription
Or 1799 points

View Issues

About The Oban Times & Lochaber Times

Oban Women OAPs rev up for rally to Mongolia Fort William Family facing deportation fight for more time

Other Articles in this Issue